It’s freezing here at Champers HQ. Here’s a very quick recipe for a yeast-less bread, with only 4 ingredients.
- 300g wholewheat spelt flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of sea salt
- 250ml buttermilk
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 8. Place an empty baking sheet in the oven to heat up.
- Sift all the dry ingredients together into a large bowl. Make a well in the centre.
- Pour the buttermilk into the well, and quickly mix the ingredients together to form a wet, sticky dough.
- Turn out onto a well floured surface. Be careful not to over mix the dough – think ‘less is more’.
- Using floured hands, shape the dough into a ball.
- Take the baking sheet from the oven and place the dough on it. Be careful not to burn yourself on the baking sheet.
- Flour the handle of a wooden spoon, then lay across the dough and push down about half way through. Turn the dough 90 degrees and push the handle down again to form a cross. This will help the bread to bake evenly.
- Place the bread in the oven and bake for 15-20 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the bread makes a hollow sound when tapped on the bottom.
I usually make my own buttermilk, which I think makes for a better loaf. If you would like me to post about how to make your own buttermilk and butter, please let me know in the comments below.
Thanks for reading.