It’s Maundy Thursday today, the day before Good Friday. This year is going by fast, just think it will be April next week. The weather is still cold, so before we enjoy all those chocolate Easter eggs, perhaps we can indulge in something with includes a healthy combination of fruit and nuts … ahem!
Coconut and lime drizzle mini loaves
- 1 cup golden vanilla caster sugar
- 2 cups plain flour
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp coconut or almond extract
plus vegetable oil of greasing the pans
For the lime drizzle:
- 1/2 lime, juice and zest (a whole small key lime would be great if you can get hold of one)
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- warm water, recently boiled
For the mini loaves
- Preheat the oven Gas mark 4/350 F.
- Prep 8 mini loaf tins, greasing well with the vegetable oil.
- In a large bowl, mix all the dry ingredients together and then set aside.
- In a jug or small bowl, mix all the wet ingredients together.
- Pour the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and fold together until just mixed.
- Divide the batter evenly between the loaf tins, and bake in the oven for 40 mins, until well risen and golden brown on top.
Test with a skewer to ensure the loaves are fully baked. If the skewer doesn’t come out clean, bake for another 5 -10 minutes.
If the skewer comes out clean, remove the loaves from the oven and allow to cool in the tin for 5-10 minutes. Then remove the loaves from the tins and continue to cool on a wire rack.
For the lime drizzle
Simply combine all the ingredients together and pour equal amounts over the mini loaves, while they are still warm. Leave for a few minutes before enjoying with a nice cup of tea.