Tomorrow is Shrove Tuesday, otherwise known as Pancake Day. This means that Winter is on it’s way out and Spring is around the corner. Shove Tuesday is one of those annual events which sneaks up on you suddenly, and then there is a huge panic to get those pancakes made. But this year, make sure your prepared and make these pancakes today and save yourself the hassle tomorrow.
Pancakes – recipe by Champagne Twist
- 2 extra large eggs
- pinch of salt (optional)
- 300ml milk
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil, plus extra for frying
- In a large bowl or jug, add the eggs and salt if using and whisk for about 30 seconds. Add in the milk and stir until well combined. Fold in the flour until a batter, with the consistency of single cream, is formed. Then stir in the oil and set aside in the fridge for 30 mins to rest. Note; the salt adds flavour and helps to break down the eggs so that they are easier to whip. Personally, I tend to leave as much salt as I can out of recipes, especially if I know I may be using high salt or sugary fillings.
- Add a tiny drizzle of oil to a crepe or frying pan and preheat over a medium temperature. Using a small ladle, when the oil begins to sizzle, carefully pour 1 ladleful of batter into the pan, swirling the batter around until it covers the inside base of the pan. Cook for about a 1 or so until golden brown, and then flip the pancake over to cook on the other side. Cook for a further minute.
- When cooked, place the pancake on a plate and cover with a sheet of greaseproof paper. Continuing cooking the pancakes until all the batter has been used up.
- After cooling you can place the pancakes with the greaseproof paper in-between each pancake into a freezer bag and freeze them for later use.
- When you’re ready to use, simply take as any pancakes as you require and leave them to defrost overnight in the fridge.
Remember pancakes are not just for Shrove Tuesday. Pancakes are extremely versatile, and the range of sweet and savoury fillings are endless. These little beauties are ideal for creating last minute meals, or pudding treats when time is short.
Tomorrow I will post some suggestions for sweet fillings. Enjoy pancake preparation day!
Are you making pancakes for Shrove Tuesday? Please share in the comment section your favourite recipes and pancake fillings.
Thanks for reading.