This is an update of my #2017MakeNine challenge.
Greenery knit set – I am re-doing the hat because I made it far too big for my little head. I tried blocking it, and then shrink washed it, but it didn’t help. I even thought about adding a couple of pleats, but I knew I wouldn’t be happy with the end result, so I spent half an hour in front of the TV and unravelled it. I shall start the remake as soon as I have completed my current knitting project.
I also plan to decorate my Greenery Knit set with embroidery, and I think I may have found a nice pattern to adapt. Watch this space.
Protest hat – I managed to get the sizing correct, but ran out of wool. But no fear, I managed to find another ball of yarn in my stash, so this will be next on the list after the Greenery knit set.
Neptune wrap cardigan – this is not part of the Make 9 project, but is the reason for the delay in the 2 projects above. I don’t like to have too many projects on the go at the same time, hence I won’t be starting anything else, until these 3 knitting goals have been completed.
However, I will take this opportunity to explain my Neptune wrap cardigan, so called because of the beautiful sea greens and blues of the yarn. A cardigan made of this wool, caught my eye during my visit to the Spring Knitting and Stitching show. I was inspired and nabbed myself a couple of balls – and they are huge. Lovely to knit, vibrant of colour and a bargain at £5.25 per ball, I initially thought I would make a simple, quick scarf for spring. As the wool features a shade of green close to the Patone colour of the year, Greenery, I figured it would be an affordable way to update my wardrobe.
Then I started knitting. And knitting and knitting. My ‘scarf’ grew into the the size of a blanket. Then, somehow, I thought, ‘I have more than enough scarves, I should make a cardigan’. I’ve never knitted a cardigan before, but heck, I’m not going to let a little thing like that stop me. I have knitting needles, courage (or madness, not sure which yet!) and wool. How hard can this be? Famous last words …
It’s taken me about 3 days to knit the back piece, and now I’ve sort of come up with a plan to make the front – a 2 piece affair which I hope will have an wrap over effect and self ties. And maybe some sleeves. Did I mention I was winging this?
I have employed my bamboo stitch skills for all of the back, which took up about 75% of the first ball of wool. For the front I think I will start with the bamboo stitch at the bottom of the bodice to the mid way point, and then switch to good old stocking stitch. That’s the plan anyway, fingers crossed.
It feels strangely liberating to be free style knitting like this. I love the fact that I am utilising my knitting skills in a slightly different way. I’m looking forward to finishing it, and showcasing the final results in the near future. Keep posted via my Instagram account and fingers crossed, I will be able to model it here on the blog soon.
Thanks for reading, please comment and subscribe for more.