By Hand London, Charlie Dress Sewing Pattern Review

Poppy Dress

This is a review of the Charlie Dress sewing pattern by By Hand London.

It’s the first time I have sewn a By Hand London pattern, and the Charlie Dress was a great introduction. Surprisingly quick to make, it took me about 4.5 hours from start to finish over a couple of days.  I used a cotton fabric from my stash – Riley Blake’s ‘Desert Bloom’ poppy print in red.  I sourced it from the internet and was inspired after seeing the fabric showcased on Kittenish Behaviour.

It is a medium weight cotton, so I didn’t feel the need to line it, making the dress even quicker to make.  Also as the dress is intended to be worn during the Summer, I thought lining it would make it unnecessarily heavy.

Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 21.27.30

The PDF pattern cost £9, which I thought was a very good bargain as the dress comes in 2 versions, and both dresses can be easily adapted. For example, I hope to make the bodice as a stand-a-lone top, and I now have a 3/4 circle skirt without having to do the maths!

Screen Shot 2017-06-30 at 23.41.54

Picture source: https://byhandlondon.com/collections/sewing-patterns/products/charlie-dress-pdf-sewing-pattern

The instructions provided are well written and easy to follow, but I wish they included how to lengthen or shorten the bodice and skirt. As I have prior knowledge, I was able to adjust the pattern to my own measurements, but would have appreciated the guidance.

Construction

I had intended to make version 2 of the dress, with the 3/4 circle skirt. Sadly, the material I had wasn’t wide enough, this turned out to be a blessing in disguise, The 2 panel skirt is a different style for me, I tend to sew only straight, A-line or circle skirts, so it was great to try something different.

I was concerned about the gathered waist, as I prefer smooth lines on my waistline, but again, the result was pleasing, and hopefully doesn’t draw attention to my tummy.

Adjustments

  • I added 5 cm to lengthen the bodice
  • The turn over collar was made with a cotton, solid white fabric I had in my stash
  • I decided against adding pockets, but with future Charlie dresses, I’m considering adding large patch pockets
  • I added 2 cm to the length of the first skirt tier, and 3 cm to the length of the bottom tier, to create a knee length dress
  • I made extra long straps, and made a bow feature at the top of the shoulder – see picture below

 poppy dress 3

I’m considering adding some sort embellishment to the bow, like a button or mini fabric flower – not sure yet, so if you have any ideas please let me know.

Overall, I really like this pattern, it’s quick to make and I reckon my next one can be made in around 2 hours.  The sew-a-long on the By Hand London website is also a useful tool, providing clarity to the written instructions and enhanced with more, clear photographs.

I really like the ‘hackability’ of this pattern, and have already thought of several ideas to adapt this pattern to create a wardrobe of garments. Stay tuned for more on this.

For my first By Hand London pattern, I find it pretty hard to fault, and I look forward to trying more patterns from this company.

Rating

4-star

 

 

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “By Hand London, Charlie Dress Sewing Pattern Review

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s