On Monday, I was feeling in a celebratory mood due to my website finally becoming a dot.com – yeah I know, about time too! So I baked a cake. The lavender in my gardens is doing extraordinarily well this year, and it would be a shame just to let the flower heads just fade away.
My previous lavender creations are Lavender Sugar Cookies and the joyous Blueberry and Lavender Cheesecake. I make large batches of lavender sugar, which I store for winter baking and as gifts for friends and family. This time I wanted to try the floral notes from this herb with a more robust berry. I also wanted to add a citrus note, hence the Lemon Lavender Cake, with Crushed Blackberries . I added icing, because this is a celebration cake after all. Enjoy!
Lemon Lavender Lemon Cake, with Crushed Blackberries
- 250g butter, margarine or substitute
- 250g lavender sugar (click to read my recipe here)
- 3 large eggs
- zest of 1 whole lemon
- splash of milk, no more than 5 tbsp
- 300g self raising flour
For the cake:
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 3.
- Butter and line a small, round baking tin.
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl, briefly beat one egg until the yolk and white are combined. Add slowly to the butter sugar mix, and beat together until the mixture egg has been fully incorporated. Repeat for the remaining 2 eggs.
- Pour in a splash of milk and stir well. You only need enough to make a smooth batter that isn’t too think to stir.
- Add the lemon zest and then sift in 100g of the flour into the butter, sugar and egg mix. Gently fold the flour into the mix. Fold in another 100g and then the final 100g of flour, until all the flour is fully incorporated into the mix.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared baking tin. Level off the top.
- Place the cake tin on the middle shelf of the oven, and bake for 45-55 mins.
- When baked, remove the cake from the oven. and allow too cool in the tin for 10 mins. After that time, remove the cake from the tin and rest on a wire rack to cool completely.
For the icing
- 250g icing sugar
- 2-3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- fresh lavender flowers for decoration (optional)
- Place the icing sugar into a medium sized bowl. Add the juice and stir until the icing is think, but pourable. Adjust the sugar or juice measurements accordingly if needs be.
- Cover the cooled cake with the icing. If using, decorate with fresh lavender stems. Remember to allow the cake to cool completely before covering with icing.
For the crushed blackberries
- 1 punnet fresh blackberries, washed and dried
- 2-3 tsp fresh lemon juice
- icing sugar to taste
- Add the blackberries to a medium sided bowl. Cover with the lemon juice and sugar.
- Gently mix the ingredients together, gently crushing the berries as you go.
- Decant into a serving bowl and serve with the cake.