The weather is being a bit odd today. It’s either raining cats and dogs or grey and overcast.
Last week, I purchased loads of courgettes and rather than make the usual quiche for lunch, I wanted to make something different. The onion medley idea came from using up other ingredients in the fridge.
This is a quick recipe, which can be served hot, warm or cold.
Courgette and onion medley open pie – recipe | Champagne Twist
- 3 large courgette, thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1 banana shallot, sliced
- 3 cloves of garlic, sliced
- pinch cayenne pepper
- pinch chilli pepper flakes
- pinch of dried thyme
- pinch of salt
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 320g pack ready-rolled puff pastry
- 50g cream cheese, at room temperature
- splash of milk
- Preheat the oven to 220C.
- Place the courgette slices in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the oil, leek, red onion, shallot, garlic, cayenne pepper, chilli flakes, thyme, salt and black pepper, to the sliced courgettes and toss everything together to ensure even covering. Set aside.
- Place the pastry on a baking sheet. Using the tip of a sharp knife, lightly score a 1 cm line around the edge of the pastry to form a ‘frame’.
- In a separate, small bowl or jug, add in the cream cheese and milk. Mix well until fully combined.
- Place the courgette and onion mixture on to the pastry base, in an even layer. Making sure not to cover the outer pastry ‘frame.
- Bake the pie on the middle shelf of the oven for 20-25 minutes, until the pastry has risen and golden brown. Serve with a crisp green salad.