Yesterday the Great Britsh Sewing Bee ended, and if you didn’t know already, Charlotte won.
I’m still working on my final GBSB challenge, but I thought I should let you know about my week 7 challenge – the Red Cherry Outfit.
Yes, outfit! I set myself a hard challenge of making a self drafted, fully lined skirt, with in seam pockets, and a matching neck tie which doubles up as a hair tie. We don’t do things by halves here at Champers Towers!
Anyway, here it is …
Fabric: 100% cotton, red cherry and green leaves on a black background print, by Robert Kaufman
Pattern: Self drafted design
Style: Pleated skirt, fully lined with solid red, light weight cotton fabric, with 2 in-seam pockets.
The skirt is lined with red cotton (I know, I’m becoming very radical theses days!), and has an invisible zip closure at the back. There are 2 in-seam pockets. I did toy with adding slanted pockets, but I only had 2 metres of fabric and I wanted to make sure I had enough to make a couple of neck ties and a waistband just in case the waist didn’t work out.
Speaking about the waist, this is a very close fitting waist, and luckily the pleats were handled in such a way, I didn’t need to add a waist band, leaving a clean line.
The red cotton was recycled from the lining of a dress I made a couple of years ago, which I never wore. So it’s good that the fabric didn’t go to waste. I added a jumper, and there we have an entire outfit made with less than 2 metres of fabric.
I’m posting regular updates of my final GBSB challenge on Instagram. If you would like to see my updates, please follow and like.
Don’t forget to subscribe to my blog for more information.
Well, it’s been an interesting week in London. I’ve been glued to the news 1 minute and distracting myself from the news with my sewing machine the next. I decided to keep calm and carry on sewing.
As a result, I have created the Daisy Meadow dress. As a person who rarely wears dresses (I’m more of a t-shirt and comfy trousers person), I’m so happy with this dress.
Pattern: Simplicity 2444 bodice, self designed skirt, with in-seam pockets
Fabric: Daisy Meadow by Michael Miller
Fabric Composition: 100% Cotton
Comments: This is my first green dress. From afar, I will probably look like a walking meadow, but I honestly don’t care, I’m so happy with my new frock. This dress was on the to-do list for months, using a pattern that I purchased years ago. I finally managed to make the famous Simplicity 2444 dress, and I’m pretty chuffed with it.
The dress came together very quickly, it was stitched up within an hour, however I had to order a green zip, hence the delay in completion. I didn’t have to make any adjustments to the bodice, but I did have to draft a new skirt as the fabric wasn’t wide enough.
I also didn’t bother with the arm hole facing pattern, as would like to use the left over fabric for something else. So I used some pre-made bias binding I had in my stash. Yes it’s not green, but the trend this year is to use a surprise lining, and facings are sort of like surprise linings, right?
Anyway, I aim to post some more pictures over the next few days, but over all I really like this pattern – expect to see more soon.
What do you think? Thanks for reading, please don’t forget to subscribe and comment below.
This little number was supposed to be my weekly GBSB 1 hour challenge for today – but I got carried away and finished it late last night!
It’s 100% polyester, a fact I found out whilst I was ironing prior to cutting. Note to self, do not iron polyester material on the cotton setting.
In my defence, it has been a good while since I had any dealings with 100% polyester fabric, as I normally use 100% cotton (hence the setting on the iron – rookie mistake!). Fortunately, it was near the end of the material, so I was still able to cut out the pieces for the cami. Sadly, due to my mishap, the planned for matching hair tie may have to be shelved, unless I can think of a creative way to patch together the left over scraps. Ugh! Still, for a remnant piece of fabric that I purchased for about £2, I can’t complain.
I have previous made a camisole top and yet again, this version came together easily and quickly.
I’m very pleased with the result, I have a versatile monochrome print top, which can be worn with jeans for a casual summer look, or with a suit.
Now all I have to do, is find an alternative 1 hour GBSB challenge, by tonight – yikes!
Find out if I succeed by tuning in tomorrow. Please subscribe, comment and like if you enjoyed this post.